ALL SCRIPTURE FEATURED ON MY BLOG IS TAKEN FROM THE BIBLE (KING JAMES AUTHORIZED VERSION), WITH PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Homemade Sauerkraut

Homemade sauerkraut is healthier for you than the store bought. Store bought version- after they culture it they then proceed to cook it thus killing the good bacteria(probiotics), and enzymes in it.

I love homemade sauerkraut! It has a crunch and I like that alot!

Here's a pic:
I used purple cabbage and green cabbage for this 1 gallon. As, you can see that at the bottom the water is reddish purple from the purple cabbage.

I tried a different sauerkraut recipe this time around although it's not too different from the previous ones that I posted before.

SAUERKRAUT:
 Makes 1 quart (I used to cabbages hence the gallon)

1 medium cabbage, cored and shredded
1tbs caraway seeds (I didn't use these, didn't like them in the other recipe I used!)
1tbs sea salt
4tbs whey (page 87) (if not available, use an additional 1 tbs salt)

In a bowl, mix cabbage with caraway seeds(didn't use these), sea salt and whey. pound with a wooden pounder or meat pounder (I think I  used my fist) for about 10 minutes to release juices. Place in a quart-sized, wide mouth mason jar and press down firmly with a pounder or meat  hammer  until juices come to the top of cabbage. The top of the cabbage should be at least 1 inch below top of  the jar. Cover tightly and keep at room temperature for about 3 days before transferring to cold storage. The sauerkraut may be eaten immediately, but improves with age. We started eating it day 3 and still have some left and I still haven't put it in the fridge and it is still really yummy:)

Taken from the book:
  Nourishing Traditions
The cookbook that challenges politically correct nutrition and the diet dictocrats
Revised second edition
 by Sally Fallon with Mary G. Enig, Ph.D

No comments:

Post a Comment