ALL SCRIPTURE FEATURED ON MY BLOG IS TAKEN FROM THE BIBLE (KING JAMES AUTHORIZED VERSION), WITH PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Homemade yogurt

Pour 1 quart of whole milk into a saucepan and warm milk over medium heat until bubles form around the edge of the pan.  Remove from heat and let cool until milk is lukewarm. You should be able hold finger comfortably in the milk for ten seconds.    -Then add (2tbs)plain yogurt  (use plain yogurt and make sure that the label says active or live yogurt cultures) or yogurt starter and stir until well combined. Pour Mixture into a wide mouthed jar ( I just use the regular mason jars). If using a powdered starter, follow pkg instructions. Place jar in a warm spot, and let sit 4 to 6 hours. Don't disturb it, or you risk breaking the yogurts structure and it won't set.  For an even thicker yogurt, with a  texture more like that of store bought yogurt, you can add 1 tbs of gelatin to the milk with the starter. I didn't use any gelatin and don't plan on it. I think it's fine the way it is.

Squeezing lime into my Brother's yogurt. He wanted that for flavouring. I normally use honey in my Pa's and mine but sometimes add cinnamon, too. I like to put raisins in mine or make parfaits and use whatever else we have in the fruit department in our fridge.
Being a goofball:)

No comments:

Post a Comment